I really don’t have a good track record for being on time! Cinnamon Rolls/buns/scrolls after the break!
RORY: Hey Sookie.
SOOKIE: Hey kitty cats. Cinnamon buns are over there.
Ingredients – Dough
3 Cups Plain Flour. sifted
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
Pinch Of Salt
115g Butter, Softened and cubed
1 Cup Milk
2 1/2 Tbsp of Yeast
1 Egg, beaten
Ingredients – Filling
3 Tbsp Cinnamon
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
Melted Butter (Melt it after the dough has risen)
- Warm the milk in a saucepan until it is room temperature. Take it off the heat and sprinkle over the yeast – make sure the milk isn’t too hot. If it’s too hot it’ll kill the yeast.
- Leave for 10 minutes. It should be foaming by this point and mostly dissolved. If it has done neither of those things your yeast is dead and you have to start again.
- Add your egg to the milk mixture and whisk together
- In a stand mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add half the butter and start the mixer on a low speed.
- When the first half of the butter is combined add the second lot – one cube at a time
- When it’s all combined add the milk/yeast/egg mixture slowly. Do a small bit at a time, wait until combined and then add more. Repeat until it’s all gone.
- At this point your mixer will probably be struggling. Lightly floor your bench and upend your dough onto it.
- Knead the dough until slightly elastic and no longer sticky
- Place into an oiled bowl and cover, leaving in a warm environment until the dough has doubled in size – usually an hour to an hour and a half.
- When the Dough has doubled in size – give it a good punch. This will cause it to deflate
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius
- Place the dough on your lightly floured bench and press it into a rectangle shape.
- Roll the dough out until its a large rectangle.
- Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the dough with a layer of butter.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar mixture evenly over the pastry until it’s all covered. You may have excess mixture remaining.
- Taking the long slide of the rectangle, roll it up tightly. Then cut the roll into 12 equal slices.
- Grease a baking paper with oil and brown sugar
- Place the 12 slices in the pan, making sure to leave room for them to spread
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes until golden!
See video above for a glaze recipe – mine didn’t work out very well so I don’t want to share it. If you google you can find much better ones!